Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

American Idol Finals-Adam v. Kris

Well, this is the first time I like each of the final two enough that I'd buy both their albums. As usual the final showdown was kind of a letdown. I mean, by this time, everyone pretty much has their favorite and the contestants have had their best performances. This is just a formality really. Adam and Kris both had to sing 3 songs; their favorite from the season, a song picked by Nygel Lythgoe, and Kara's co-written piece of crap.

Adam was up first and he chose "Mad World" as his favorite of the season. He came rising up out of the stage with a Matrix coat on and had fog on stage and everything. I loved it simply because he had the balls to do it. His vocals were gorgeous. Simon complained that it was too theatrical but whatever. Adam replied something about "well, they said they had this elevator and dry ice..." Gee, me thinks the show was HOPING Adam would let them use it. Have they ever had a contestant that could have pulled off that much drama?

Kris chose "Ain't No Sunshine" (uh, I had to look it up...my mind went BLANK). As before, he sat behind the piano and it was amazing. Simon gave the round to Kris. Yes, I realize I say a lot more about Adam but that's the beauty. Adam is so HUGE and Kris is so simple and I love them both.

For round 2 Nygel chose "Change is gonna Come" for Adam. I have to Admit I spent half the performance thinking, "Why did he choose an R&B song for Adam?" when all season it's been ballads and rock. Well whatever. Anyway, Adam sounded really good and did a lot of crazy vocal stuff. I guess, it was a good choice in a way because we got to hear him sing something different.

Kris was given "What's Goin On?". He did a stripped down acoustic version with his guitar and the bongo guys. I liked it...it was totally Kris. Then the judges start rambling about how his performance wasn't "big enough" for the importance of the night...wtf does that mean? He did HIS thing and he did it well. He can't be Adam...and the next round proves my point...

Round 3 the guys had to sing the dreaded Idol ballad...these things are always so bad...so sappy, horrible lyrics, ugh. I don't get why some seasons the contestants have two to choose from and then other years they have to sing the same song. The "song" is called "No Boundaries". I cannot even remember how it goes, it's that catchy. I actually couldn't remember the title of the song until a little bit ago.

Anyway, Adam did okay with it. Even he was pitchy on this thing and like rock week, the background singer was trying to out sing him or something. Kris looked terrified from the moment he got on stage, alone with just a mic, poor guy. He even messed up the lyrics (nobody said anything though). It was just, not good. He was straining. I felt so bad for him. The judges said the key was too high and for both performances said not to vote for the guys based on that song. Way to go, Kara!

The judges- Simon seriously needed to button that shirt. It was almost to his belly button. Paula looked like she got stuck in a tanning bed. Kara was way too intense and scared me. Randy was just Randy.

Who will win? It's a toss up as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and welcome your comments. I will be moderating them though. Honestly, I don't swear and I take pride in my education so do your best to use proper language and grammar. Being passionate is one thing. Sounding like an idiot...just makes you sound like an idiot.