Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

American Idol Finals-Songs from the Year they were Born

Talk about a disappointing week for me. I knew most of the songs would be from the 80's. I love 80's music...love it. Once again this group managed to pick mostly lame songs or perform them karaoke style. It was odd.

I am glad the judges didn't do that walk out intro. Seriously, it's not about them and that just seemed indulgent (can I just say I'm sick of hearing that word? It's like, Simon's favorite word this year). The contestants came out and the two remaining ladies, Allison and Lil, looked hot. They might as well work the sex appeal since that is one advantage they have over the guys.

1. Danny- "Stand by Me" His clothes look good so the fashion disaster era of Danny seems to be behind him. The intro was really nasally and then he started that goofy head bob he does. I really did not like the arrangement. It had a Megan Joy feel to it, lol. The end was good when he got into his power range.
As for Randy emphasizing that this is a "vocal talent show", it was like he was trying to convince us to vote for Danny because he sings well and forget the fact that he lacks the star quality Adam/Kris/Allison/Matt have. Haven't they been harping about the "package" and "artistry" all season. Unless your Danny, I guess...I'm just not impressed by him anymore. He isn't growing.

2.Kris- "All She Wants to Do is Dance" man he's cute. Ok, sorry...I've got boyband brain right now so my cuteness radar is in hyper sensitive mode. Nice jacket. Uh, I don't have much to say. This week he was just decent. The arrangement was boring. I did not think it was "indulgent" as Simon called it but it was kind of boring. Bummer.

3.Lil- "What's Love Got to Do with It" Lil, can you get rid of the stupid hair? Please? Your own hair was fine. Her shoes and outfit were hot. Her makeup was great. The performance, boring again. Just another "Lil trying to copy the original artist" night. I am starting to wonder if she EVER had a personality. Paula was right on in her critique. I'm really glad the judges finally see what I saw back in Hollywood. Hello guys...it's not just a "vocal talent show" as Randy said. (unless you are Danny) Lil saying that she'll show us next week made me roll my eyes...has she been listening at all? Alexis where are you?

4. Anoop- "True Colors" Well, he's back in the dorky preppy clothes. A lime green sweater? Really. I love this song and the performance came off well. Not great, but good. It helps that everyone before him was pretty weak. Paula bringing up rainbows during her critique? Gag. Simon calling Anoop a "yoyo singer" was hilarious. It's called inconsistent.

5. Scott- "The Search is Over" Does anyone else find it hilarious that a blind guy wanted to be a train conductor? At least trains have tracks. Scott cracks me up. First off, I was totally shocked to see him standing and with a guitar. The singing was just painful though. Especially his falsetto if that's what it was. I have to admit, I'm getting a little annoyed that he can't take a criticism without interrupting the judges and making a joke.

6. Allison- "I Can't Make You Love Me"- omg, she was born when I was in 8th grade! I was really impressed with her delicate side. So far we haven't heard much of her soft voice and it was really good! She just hit it out of the park with the power section and it was the soft parts that helped that stand out. Great job. And...she looked hot. Awesome outfit.

7. Matt- "Part Time Lover" Wow, Matt looked really good last night. Other than a little too much with the goat vibrato he really owned the whole performance. I think it was one of his best.

8. Adam- "Mad World" the Pimp spot again? Well, last night it was the "no show" spot because everyone's tivo's cut off early. I'm on the west coast and mine caught it...barely. Adam's surprise this week was he DIDN"T go all crazy at any point in the song. It was just calm and subdued and pretty and Simon gave him a standing ovation.

If you missed it, here it is:




Most likely to download- Allison and Adam

Judges- pretty much right on tonight except with Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and welcome your comments. I will be moderating them though. Honestly, I don't swear and I take pride in my education so do your best to use proper language and grammar. Being passionate is one thing. Sounding like an idiot...just makes you sound like an idiot.